[Ardour-Users] Trying to figure out what the problem is

Wendy Van Wynsberghe wendy at constantvzw.com
Wed Mar 13 02:53:22 PDT 2013

Hello, hello,

Congrats on the Ardour 3 release - I will install hopefully in a few
weeks - when I have a little bit more time!
In the meantime, a perfectly good working Ardour2 has gone sour..
I have squeezed my error messages through a search engine and nothing
clear comes up, on what the error could be. (lot's comes up - but it's
a mess - also nothing from 2012 nor 2013)

I did an update recently - that could be it :-/

-> Symptoms : Jack purrs away, no problem there - Ardour does not want
to start - not even a glimpse of wanting to do that..

-> My system:
LinuxMint
Release 13 (Maya)
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-23-generic

Thinkpad Edge-  i3 Cpu

-> What my terminal tells me:
~ $ ardour2
Ardour 2.8.12
   (built using 10144 and GCC version 4.6.1)
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
ardour: [INFO]: Ardour will be limited to 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in
/home/wendy/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
powermate: Opening of powermate failed - No such file or directory
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol powermate not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Tranzport not usable
Caught PixbufError: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file
'/usr/share/ardour2/icons/fader_belt.png'
ardour: [ERROR]: could not initialize Ardour.
ardour: [ERROR]: could not create ARDOUR GUI

Que pasa? What happened?

Greetz,

Wendy