[Ardour-Users] A3: Silence and session load weirdness after re-open

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Apr 24 06:23:23 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 13:28 +0100, Q wrote:
> although I still don't understand the benefit of this
> behaviour

If you zap between many old sessions, unexpected things could happen.
I'm not using software with such a protection and never experienced
anything bad, but IMO it's a good idea to protect against feedback
loops. Headphones, monitors and ears usually don't get damaged, even if
there should be a feedback loop, this only would happen, if the engineer
made something idiotic before the feedback appears. However, you can
work 30 years without doing something idiotic and at a less favourable
time you do something idiotic, just for one time in 30 years.

For me this happened never for audio work, but I once deleted a backup,
when I wanted to restore a broken Linux from a backup. IIRC I used
computers for more than 20 years without making such a carelessness.