[Ardour-Users] xruns??? or someting else makes my playhead freeze and Ardour crash

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue May 22 11:23:38 PDT 2012

Hoi Wendy,

On 05/22/2012 03:46 PM, Wendy Van Wynsberghe wrote:

> ---> Try jackd in verbose mode: `jackd -v -d alsa` -  it's really verbose but
>> some hints may be in there.
>
> I have put the output of two different sessions here:
> http://capacitor.pad.constantvzw.org:8000/37
[..]
> ---> I have already tried with other - external - soundcards and I had
> the same xruns

Ow. So jack is doing fine. It seems to be something more low-level with
the laptop you're using: System Management Interrupts (SMI) from the
BIOS, CPU or FSB power-management, freq scaling, or sth that's causing
it to x-run.

There's "hwlatdetect" - deb/ubuntu package: rt-tests which may help to
pinpoint the source of the IRQ that causes jack to hang.

---> I have a lot less xruns by installing a lowlatency kernel

A low-latency kernel helps:
 - on a busy system: prevent other apps from interfering with sound.
 - if used with rtirq; if the audio-device shares an IRQ with other
   devices: sound handling can pull rank over those..

but it won't do any magic to power-management or hardware settings.

> @ Noel Darlow
> avlinux, that's sounds like a summer plan ;-)

Nah, just burn and boot it. It's a live image and won't touch your HDD
nor require installation. takes less than 10 mins.

IOW. Exchange the whole OS (incl kernel). If the problem persists: it's
a hardware issue.

best,
robin