[Ardour-Users] Virtual "merge" device doesn't work following steps on the wiki

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:41:04 PDT 2012

2012/7/24 Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs at gmail.com>:
> Dear all.
>
> I've followed the instructions in the wiki[1] to get a personalized
> virtual hybrid audio device in such a way that I can use the INs and
> OUTs of my internal and external cards.
>
> I copied the specification example for asoundrc file and just made
> some little changes to adapt it to my preferences: I refer to my
> external sound card by name, and I put its channels first in order
> instead of the internal card as is in the example.
>
> I put my .asoundrc in place and restarted the system but no merge
> device appeared on QJactl configuration. At the end of this mail is my
> .asoundrc file[2].
>
> I think I followed every step as indicated, but maybe I missed something.
>
> BTW, there are two lines in the example that don't ';' at the end of
> the line, and checking other examples it seems it is mandatory. Just
> in case, I tested my configuration as the example and with ';' on
> every line, but no luck.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> [1] http://jackaudio.org/multiple_devices
> [2]
> pcm.merge {
>     type multi;
>     slaves.a.pcm hw:0
>     slaves.a.channels 2;
>     slaves.b.pcm hw:UA25EX
>     slaves.b.channels 2;
>     bindings.0.slave b;
>     bindings.0.channel 0;
>     bindings.1.slave b;
>     bindings.1.channel 1;
>     bindings.2.slave a;
>     bindings.2.channel 0;
>     bindings.3.slave a;
>     bindings.3.channel 1;
> }
>
> ctl.merge {
>     type hw
>     card 0
> }
>

> --
> Carlos sanchiavedraz
> * Musix GNU+Linux
>   http://www.musix.es

Hello again.

I did some additional search and I found another asoundrc example:
https://github.com/miguel-negrao/WFS-BEA7-Scripts/blob/master/asoundrc

According to that, the lines which describe type and hardware
soundcards (lines beginning with "slaves") have no ';'. So I tested my
configuration with this corrections but, again there's no merge card.
Configuration looks like this now:

pcm.merge {
    type multi
    slaves.a.pcm "hw:0"
    slaves.a.channels 2
    slaves.b.pcm "hw:UA25EX"
    slaves.b.channels 2
    bindings.0.slave b;
    bindings.0.channel 0;
    bindings.1.slave b;
    bindings.1.channel 1;
    bindings.2.slave a;
    bindings.2.channel 0;
    bindings.3.slave a;
    bindings.3.channel 1;
}

ctl.merge {
    type hw
    card 0
}

Thanks in advance for any kind of guide to solve this.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux