[Ardour-Users] AFL monitor issues on A3b5

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 09:25:57 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> if you use a monitor bus AND you use AFL or PFL then *by definition*
> "soloing" (AFL or PFL) does NOT affect what is on the master bus.

I wasn't expecting it to. I don't think we are quite understanding each
other. At least, so far as I understand what you have said, it describes
something different to what I am talking about.

> that's the whole point of using a monitor bus and AFL/PFL - soloing occurs
> on the monitor bus ONLY and the master (which may be feeding another
> recorder, or the main PA, or whatever) is left unaffected.

Yes, I don't want to affect the master. I want to "listen" to the track,
via the monitor at [post-fader but before the mute] in the signal chain. In
other words, After Fader Listen, or at least what I thought AFL stood for.
This way I can listen to incoming live feeds, with effects, and then drop
them in the master for output to the PA by un-muting the track. In other
words, listen to live feeds in headphones before dropping them into the
mix. Perhaps my live use is at odds with studio use. I guess this is what
is called the "cue" switch on hardware DJ mixers.

i don't think there is any way to do what you want, not in ardour

, or on any console that provides AFL/PFL. this suggests that you should
> probably rethink what you want :) what are you trying to do that requires
> this?

Actually I jury-rigged to get what I want by using a post-fader send in
each track, with a midi controller setting the send volume. I say
jury-rigged because this requires using puredata to generate midi messages,
as Ardour sliders don't seem to accept single midi values to set their
level at a specific volume. If i send say, a value of 127 to the CC
assigned to midi of the send level, then the gain level does not change to
127. I guess this has something to do with controller pickup logic.

So to actually change the volumes I have to send a line of controller
increments over a 500 millisecond period. In other words, automated
fade-ins or fade-outs. This is not instantaneous which makes rapid
monitoring difficult, but it at least achieves what I want. The send buses
are all routed to the hardware output of my headphones.

The advantage of this approach is that it is flexible - I can listen in at
any point in the signal chain by simply sliding the send up or down. If
sends had a mute I guess I could do what I originally wanted, and retain
this flexibility.

tl;dr: Guy thought Ardour could do something, got it to almost do it
another way.