[Ardour-Users] input monitoring

Wayne wayne at in-giro.org
Tue Jan 10 04:37:48 PST 2012

On mar, 2012-01-10 at 13:27 +0100, David Adler wrote:

> >> - Use a mixing application for mixing (e.g. jackmixer, http://home.gna.org/jackmixer/)
> >> - Use ardour for recording
> >>

> > I guess that the computational overhead is similar to that of using
> > buses in ardour. The computational overhead of just using a bus for
> > routing should be neglegible (I used ardour sessions with more than 1000
> > internal jack ports without problems, others reported even larger
> > numbers), CPU load caused by meter display should not be a problem if
> > jack runs with rt priority.
> >
> Thanks for the helpful answers,
> I Installed jack_mixer, It looks nice and could do what I want it to,
> if only I could find out how Midi control works. The usual tricks
> (trying and looking for docs) didn't work.
>
> I'll probably use buses and tracks in Ardour then. Now assured
> that there is very little overhead in doing so, this appears to be
> the way to go. And my second "downside" (alignment of effect
> send faders) can be easily solved by sensible routing, i.e.
> track -> bus in series instead of parallel. No need for duplicate
> effect sends, I get it now.

    i do something similar: for each "logical" track, i have 1 bus with
the plugins and usually clean 2 tracks routed to the bus (1 for the
takes, 1 for the actual finished track audio).  the overhead is not that
bad, and since with A3 it is easier to activate/deactivate
groups/tracks/buses, it is not terrible to disable tracks when
necessary, or not in use (such as my "take" track).

    but one thing to keep in mind that may be an issue: buses have no
latency compensation.  if u put the plugins for the logical track on the
bus like i do, you may hear some latency that you will need to adjust
manually (right click on region, region-name->Nudge->move backward by
capture offset).  again, not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

good luck.

peace, w

http://wayne.in-giro.org