[Ardour-Users] input monitoring

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 04:27:59 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Giso Grimm <gg3137 at vegri.net> wrote:

> On 01/10/2012 10:00 AM, Christian Weikusat wrote:
>>> Anyone a better idea?
>>
>> - Use a mixing application for mixing (e.g. jackmixer, http://home.gna.org/jackmixer/)
>> - Use ardour for recording
>>

> I guess that the computational overhead is similar to that of using
> buses in ardour. The computational overhead of just using a bus for
> routing should be neglegible (I used ardour sessions with more than 1000
> internal jack ports without problems, others reported even larger
> numbers), CPU load caused by meter display should not be a problem if
> jack runs with rt priority.

Thanks for the helpful answers,
I Installed jack_mixer, It looks nice and could do what I want it to,
if only I could find out how Midi control works. The usual tricks
(trying and looking for docs) didn't work.

I'll probably use buses and tracks in Ardour then. Now assured
that there is very little overhead in doing so, this appears to be
the way to go. And my second "downside" (alignment of effect
send faders) can be easily solved by sensible routing, i.e.
track -> bus in series instead of parallel. No need for duplicate
effect sends, I get it now.

thanks again,