[Ardour-Users] a few thoughts

Ricardus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:35:29 PST 2012

On 12/04/2012 02:45 PM, Joe Hartley wrote:

> Indeed.  This is where it gets ironic to me.  Pre-set plugins on a channel
> strip is a throwback to hardware consoles, where it was useful to have some
> basic EQ and/or compression available, because patching in an outboard
> unit was non-trivial and limited by the amount of outboard gear you had.
> Yet Adriano seems unhappy with a workflow he felt was tied to the old
> ways of doing things.

 This is the part where I get accused of being arrogant, again.

 I would argue that a 24 year old who is new to recording doesn't really
have any idea what he wants or needs out of a recording tool.

 I have been a professional audio engineer for about 17 years, and only
NOW do I consider myself a competent mix engineer. I have developed a
work-flow, and have an idea what I want out of my gear, and software.

 And oh by the way, that console design that we have been using for the
last 40 years (inline, channel strips, etc...) is a very efficient way
of working work.  Someone who hasn't worked on a traditional console
might see those as limitations.

 I also consider myself a physics geek who reads every article there is,
about CERN, that Scientific American publishes, but in no way do I think
I am qualified to comment on accelerator design.

 Ricardus...