[Ardour-Users] a few thoughts

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 10:42:18 PST 2012

On 12/02/2012 01:22 PM, Polosson wrote:
> Le 02/12/2012 19:15, John Rigg a écrit :
>> There are fewer plugin choices on Linux, but in the nearly 7 years that I've
>> been using Ardour the situation has improved considerably. There is still a
>> shortage of plugins that emulate analog non-linearity for those who like
>> plugin equivalents of specific hardware devices. I wanted a non-aliasing
>> transformer distortion emulator for example, but ended up writing my own.
>> The other thing I miss is a good drum replacement program. Apart from that
>> I've found enough plugins to cover my requirements.
>>
>> I personally find the lack of fancy graphic interfaces on most of the
>> available LADSPA and LV2 plugins to be a positive advantage. I just want it
>> to work, preferably without too many arbitrary restrictions on parameter
>> ranges, and without the added distraction of pretty pictures which do nothing
>> to enhance the sound but do consume screen space that could be put to better
>> use (I realise I'm probably in a minority here).
>>
>> John
>>

> Yeah I totally agree with John, the simple UI of most LADSPA or LV2
> plugins can be a good thing, because it forces the listening with EARS
> and not EYES... :P
> Too many people put their trust in what they see, not what they hear,
> and the result can be seriously affected.
> .Polo

I agree 100% with this.  Plus, the extra CPU power required to drive
multiple plugin GUIs severely stresses a machine, when that horsepower
could be much better used to do useful things.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]