[Ardour-Users] Made with Ardour

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri May 27 04:44:09 PDT 2011

On 27/05/11 19:15, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 12:55 +0200, Christian Weikusat wrote:
>>> Germans need the snare! Without they will definitely clap on one and three...
>>
>> Germans will clap on one and three no matter what...even it's 3/4 or 7/8 ;-)
>
> You're confusing white trash with Germans. I never heard anybody
> clapping to Schubert's Winterreise. It's a different audience. Ok, a lot

Once a group I was working with was using Radetzky Marsch in a performance piece
made in Australia .. but we ended up performing this one in the Salzburg
festival. The technicians at the rehearsals told us that the audience would clap
along, which was a bit of a worry given what we were doing and the fact that we
had never intended it to be perceived in this particular context. Sure enough,
and true to local tradition, the clapping started with the first bar or two
every night ... but stopped mid clap shortly after. A piece of music can have
very different readings in different places. Fortunately the work was strong
enough to cope with this.

Simon