[Ardour-Users] Made with Ardour

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri May 27 05:31:45 PDT 2011

Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> writes:

>>> and three...
>>>
>>> Germans will clap on one and three no matter what...even it's 3/4 or 7/8 ;-)
>>
>> You're confusing white trash with Germans. I never heard anybody
>> clapping to Schubert's Winterreise. It's a different audience. Ok, a lot
>
> Once a group I was working with was using Radetzky Marsch in a
> performance piece made in Australia .. but we ended up performing this
> one in the Salzburg festival. The technicians at the rehearsals told
> us that the audience would clap along, which was a bit of a worry
> given what we were doing and the fact that we had never intended it to
> be perceived in this particular context.

Hm?  It is a sign of learning to clap along with the chorus, in honor of
the soldiers who did so in the initial performance.

One of the stupidest traditions whatever, but as a result you'll get the
moronic clapping even in the most exalted performances.

> Sure enough, and true to local tradition, the clapping started with
> the first bar or two every night ... but stopped mid clap shortly
> after.

Well, past the chorus you are supposed to stop.  Catches some
non-learned people by surprise, so they may take a few beats to realize
they have been left in the lurch.

> A piece of music can have very different readings in different
> places. Fortunately the work was strong enough to cope with this.

It has had to cope throughout its performance history.

--
David Kastrup