[Ardour-Users] Jack2 (1.9.7) & ardour 3.0

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 4 04:48:34 PDT 2011

Hi m.eik :)

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 13:06 +0200, m.eik michalke wrote:
> hi ralf,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2011, 09:16:41 schrieb Ralf:
> > I build dummy packages to replace the distros packages and installed
> > JACK2 from svn by waf without building a package.
>
> while this will surely recognize the dependencies, you're at risk of
> overwriting binaries from other packages without even noticing, aren't you?

No, waf does install jackd to /usr/local and there shouldn't be any
issues even if you install to /usr, since we only build jackd. While
when building JACK1, it does check for an already installed JACK, JACK2
IIRC doesn't test, if there's already a version of JACK installed. IIRC
the known issue with building and installing JACK is, that there might
be 2 versions of JACK installed, so JACK won't work. Installing dummy
packages will remove existing files and installing by waf should be ok.

> > For other apps I reccomend to use 'checkinstall' instead of 'make
> > install'.
>
> that's a good one if the software doesn't depend on other stuff, because
> usually checkinstall doesn't handle dependencies. but it's a great tool if
> there aren't debian packages for that particular software yet, and at least
> dpkg wouldn't let you overwrite stuff from other installed packages. i'd
> probably combine these two approaches, if neccessary.

Correct, for checkinstall you manually can add dependencies, they aren't
included by default.

> but from my perspective, in this case it seems really cleaner and even easier
> to just build proper packages than to create dummies and a half-way-package
> with checkinstall, which to me feels a little like printing a PDF just to scan
> it afterwards ;-)

Checkinstall won't work, because it will replace 'make install' and
doesn't work with waf. Handling dpkg in this case isn't self-explaining,
building dummy packages can be easily done by equivs. But full ACK, if
somebody has the knowledge to build a 'complete' package this is the
best solution.

> as long as all dependecies are installed (which you need for proper compiling
> anyway), dpkg-buildpackage is as easy to call as is checkinstall. it will even
> tell you if (and which) packages are missing, and create several packages
> (e.g., dev, doc ...) if it was split by the maintainer.

Hm? Someday I'll try this for JACK.

> viele grüße :: m.eik

Grüße aus dem sonnigen Oberhausen im Kohlenpott,

Ralf

PS: Right now I'm doing an Ubuntu version update from 10.10 Maverick to
11.04 Natty. I did backup the current install ;). Perhaps self-compiled
software and third-party packages will cause trouble.