[Ardour-Users] Jack2 (1.9.7) & ardour 3.0

m.eik michalke m at openmusiccontest.org
Wed May 4 04:06:03 PDT 2011

hi ralf,

Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2011, 09:16:41 schrieb Ralf:
> I build dummy packages to replace the distros packages and installed
> JACK2 from svn by waf without building a package.

while this will surely recognize the dependencies, you're at risk of
overwriting binaries from other packages without even noticing, aren't you?

> For other apps I reccomend to use 'checkinstall' instead of 'make
> install'.

that's a good one if the software doesn't depend on other stuff, because
usually checkinstall doesn't handle dependencies. but it's a great tool if
there aren't debian packages for that particular software yet, and at least
dpkg wouldn't let you overwrite stuff from other installed packages. i'd
probably combine these two approaches, if neccessary.

but from my perspective, in this case it seems really cleaner and even easier
to just build proper packages than to create dummies and a half-way-package
with checkinstall, which to me feels a little like printing a PDF just to scan
it afterwards ;-)

as long as all dependecies are installed (which you need for proper compiling
anyway), dpkg-buildpackage is as easy to call as is checkinstall. it will even
tell you if (and which) packages are missing, and create several packages
(e.g., dev, doc ...) if it was split by the maintainer.

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
::: http://OpenMusicContest.org   :: music wants to be free