[Ardour-Users] Jack2 (1.9.7) & ardour 3.0

Ralf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 4 00:16:41 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 00:52 +0200, m.eik michalke wrote:
> hi henry,
>
> am Dienstag 03 Mai 2011 (20:35) schrieb Henry W. Peters:
> > I have tried to install jack2 (1.9.7) by building the tar ball
> [...]
> > When I try to uninstall, or remove jack 1.9.6 via synaptic, it 'wants' to
> > remove a bunch of jack related programs, including my install of ardour
> > 2.8.11, & not only that, but reinstall jack1. Is there some way around this
> > quandary (this may be a deja vu circumstance)?
>
> as wayne already pointed out, installing something circumventing the package
> management is probably not the best idea.
>
> in case there's no .deb package of 1.9.7 around, you can try to build one on
> your own and let that one replace the installed one. this might seem a little
> more complicated than compiling directly from source, but at least your system
> is aware of what belongs to which package.
>
> a dirty hack (i didn't try with jack myself, but it worked on a lot of other
> packages): as long as a) the package isn't heavily patched by its maintainer,
> and b) there's no deep rooted changes between the two versions, you can try to
> apply the latest package diff patch against the new sources (look at the
> sources your distributor provides, it should be there somehwere...), like
>
>  cd new_package_sources
>  zcat /path/to/package_name-version.diff.gz | patch -p1
>
> (although for jack there even seems to be a debian-tarball you just have to
> unpack, see http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/jackd2 )
>
> this should create an additional folder called "debian" in the source's root
> directory with all files needed for packaging. to change the version number of
> the package, update "debian/changelog". then run
>
>  dpkg-buildpackage -r fakeroot
>
> in the source's root directory to build the package. you'll most likely need
> to install some develepment packages for this to work, if you run into errors.
> after the package was created, install it by
>
>  dpkg -i package_name-version.deb
>
> but be aware that although now your package management system should be
> satisfied, the contents of your new package can of course still completely
> break your setup! however, if that's the case, you should be able to simply
> downgrade again to the previous package. remind yourself of this advantage if
> building a package for the first time leads you to despair... ;-)
>

> viele grüße :: m.eik

I build dummy packages to replace the distros packages and installed
JACK2 from svn by waf without building a package.

For my Ubuntu Maverick I build

jackd2_1.9.8+dummy_all.deb
jackd2-firewire_1.9.8+dummy_all.deb
jackd_8+dummy_all.deb
libjack-jackd2-0_1.9.8+dummy_all.deb
libjack-jackd2-dev_1.9.8+dummy_all.deb

by using equivs-control and equivs-build. Equivs is easy to handle,
there's no need to have knowledge about building packages.

For other apps I reccomend to use 'checkinstall' instead of 'make
install'. This most of the times will build a package and it will
build .deb or .rpm depending to the used distro. For using checkinstall
there also is no knowledge needed.