[Ardour-Users] graphical EQs [was: what linux audio, project, do you miss?]

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Mar 5 05:49:40 PST 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday, March 05, 2011 02:38:06 am Al Thompson wrote:
>> I never meant to imply that it WAS wrong.  I said it had a much greater
>> potential to SOUND wrong.
>
> I'm sorry, but I have to say it:  Just exactly what is 'wrong' sound?  You will get as many answers as there are sound engineers; there really is no such thing as SOUNDING wrong if it's carrying the sound the engineer/artist intends it to carry.

and indeed, given my penchant for quoting eno stories, lets not forget
his majesty's repeated habits of using actually broken instruments
precisely because he liked the "broken" sound. the kick drum used on
nerve net, for example, had a split in the skin and the body had some
issues too. every time you hit it, instead of just doing what a kick
drum did, it would add a "thwackl" to the sound. that's not the sound
a kick drum is supposed to make, and on its own my guess is that it
just sounded "broken". but in the middle of those dense, thick mixes
of "nerve net", it sounds ... awesome.

music: arranging sound in time. any sound.