[Ardour-Users] graphical EQs [was: what linux audio, project, do you miss?]

Al Thompson biggles58 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 7 07:14:31 PST 2011

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Saturday, March 05, 2011 02:38:06 am Al Thompson wrote:
>
>> I never meant to imply that it WAS wrong.  I said it had a much greater
>> potential to SOUND wrong.
>>

> I'm sorry, but I have to say it:  Just exactly what is 'wrong' sound?  You will get as many answers as there are sound engineers; there really is no such thing as SOUNDING wrong if it's carrying the sound the engineer/artist intends it to carry.

Have you ever been to a concert, and the mix was SOOOO bad that all you
could think the entire night was "what the hell is wrong with that guy?"

Have you ever heard a mix that was so screwed up it was difficult to
determine if the band was playing a heavy metal song, or a polka?

Have you ever been subjected to a mix that was so terrible, and you
could hear the FOH speakers themselves cry in shame that they were
forced to emit such noise?

I would say that for any given set of source tracks or mics someone has
decided to mix, there are far more "wrong" solutions than "good" solutions

--

Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
						- [Friedrich Nietzsche]