[Ardour-Users] graphical EQs [was: what linux audio, project, do you miss?]

Al Thompson biggles58 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 4 23:38:06 PST 2011

Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> was the most you should ever need), that is why I like WaveArts
> trackplug with a nice 7 band parametric I can enable or disable each
> band individually.  There are other instances where I might want a
> graphic EQ, generally a 15 band, but I am not going to complain if
> someone wants a 31 band, while mixing in a DAW.  Workflow is a very
> personal matter and just because you don't agree with it doesn't
> necessarily make it wrong.

I never meant to imply that it WAS wrong.  I said it had a much greater
potential to SOUND wrong.  The combination of the greater phase shifts
of the typical 31 band graphic EQ, along with the tendency to misuse it
creates a very large potential for disaster.

I do stand by my assertion that if you think you NEED a 31 band EQ on
individual instruments, then your mic technique or selection needs
re-evaluating. While I'm in no way one of the purists, I firmly believe
that 99% of your tones should come from mic selection and placement.

--

Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
						- [Friedrich Nietzsche]