[Ardour-Users] what linux audio project do you miss?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 05:50:06 PST 2011

2011/3/4 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>

> apart from the delay, linear-phase eqs introduce pre-ringing, so they are a
> very mixed blessing. they don't change the fundamental truth that you cannot
> alter the frequency response without altering the temporal response as well.
> morale of this story: use the minimum eq necessary. the lower the Q, the
> less phase problems you will get.
> as david pointed out before, graphic eqs with bands of major thirds
> necessarily use rather high Qs, and you will suffer their adverse effects
> even if you set the sliders to "gentle" curves.
> there is no silver bullet for this problem. or, as jack developer jack
> o'quin in his infinite wisdom once remarked, "you can't bullshit an
> electron".

Correct, but Linear phase EQs are only one possible solution to the problems
you mentioned.  As I mentioned before there are already very good 1/3 octave
EQs out there that induce minimal phase problems, even if they aren't
designed to be linear phase.  The KTs are(Well were, the newer stuff isn't
quite the same I have heard) standard in the live music circles, far beyond
simple rock and roll, specifically because they do such a great job, they
have a great sound, induce minimal phase issues, even with steep
adjustments, and still do what is needed.  There are others out there that
are pretty good, but the KTs are probably the best known of the bunch for
touring shows, and it is more than conceivable that it could be implemented
in software.

True you can't bullshit an electron, but we aren't dealing with electrons in
the same way when dealing with DSP vs analog processing:)

        Seablade