[Ardour-Users] what linux audio project do you miss?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Mar 4 05:08:17 PST 2011

On 03/04/2011 12:13 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> The both of you do realize there is such thing as a linear phase EQ
> right?  It is not used live due to latency involved in using it, but
> there is absolutely no reason it couldn't be used in a DAW for recording
> purposes.  Of course a good KT EQ is going to be pretty dang good in
> that regards as well in my experience.

apart from the delay, linear-phase eqs introduce pre-ringing, so they
are a very mixed blessing. they don't change the fundamental truth that
you cannot alter the frequency response without altering the temporal
response as well.
morale of this story: use the minimum eq necessary. the lower the Q, the
less phase problems you will get.
as david pointed out before, graphic eqs with bands of major thirds
necessarily use rather high Qs, and you will suffer their adverse
effects even if you set the sliders to "gentle" curves.
there is no silver bullet for this problem. or, as jack developer jack
o'quin in his infinite wisdom once remarked, "you can't bullshit an
electron".

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net