[Ardour-Users] Directing MIDI input from a keyboard

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sun Jun 26 16:01:28 PDT 2011

On 06/27/2011 05:22 AM, Melvin Ray Herr wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 11:36 PM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a project set up in Ardour 3 with a number of MIDI tracks, all
>> of which I'd like to be able to selectively play with and record to
>> from my MIDI keyboard. I have the keyboard hooked up to each track's
>> inputs, but when I press a key, the message gets sent to every track,
>> which makes working with specific sounds difficult.
>>
>> I was hoping that MIDI would work in a similar way to audio, ie: with
>> Auto Input disabled, MIDI data should only go to those tracks that are
>> armed for recording. That way, I could simply arm the track I want to
>> play with, and disarm any others.
>>
>> Is there a way to get this to work, or is there some other way of
>> managing a single keyboard input across multiple MIDI tracks?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Leigh
> Leigh,
>
> I dug out my midi keyboard and hooked it up.
>
> In Ardour I created a new session and added 4 midi tracks.
>
> Then I connected the input from the keyboard to the 4 tracks.
>
> As I play on the keyboard, only the tracks armed for recording actually
> record the midi events.
>
> The midi messages are of course sent to all 4 tracks because their
> inputs are all connected to the output of the keyboard. But ONLY the
> armed tracks actually record the data.
>
> This is exactly how regular audio input works as well.

Yep, that's exactly how it works for me, too. The problem is that,
regardless of what's armed for recording, when you hit a MIDI key while
*not* recording, you get sound coming from the synths connected to all
four of those MIDI tracks.

I guess the problem is really comes down to how monitoring works with
MIDI in Ardour. I have Ardour configured to monitor audio, and I use it
with "Auto Input" mode disabled -- in this setup, Ardour only monitors
audio for tracks that are armed. If MIDI worked the same way, that would
do the job for me.

> Maybe I misunderstood your question...
> Were you wanting some other functionality?
> What version of A3 are you using?

I'd just like to have a way to be able to tell Ardour "for now, when I
hit a key on my MIDI keyboard, only send the event to the synth on track X".

I'm using Ardour 3 SVN has of about two days ago (just after alpha 8).

Thanks
Leigh