[Ardour-Users] ardour 3.0 alpha season drawing to an end

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Tue Jul 12 07:35:16 PDT 2011

On 07/11/2011 11:58 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> Alpha 10 (the next one) will be the least alpha release of ardour 3.0.
> The release after that will be beta1. Because of this is, it is
> CRITICAL that users report two particular categories of bugs:
>
>     1) crashing bugs (this includes lockups/hangs)
>     2) workflow issues that make certain desirable goals impossible or
> absurdly hard to accomplish (particulary with respect to MIDI)
>
> Please use the bug tracker at http://tracker.ardour.org/ to report all
> such issues.

I've been using Ardour 3 to produce a track, using the same kind of
workflow I've used for previous tracks sequenced in Qtractor or seq24,
and everything seems to be pretty great now.

One thing I'm not sure about is exporting projects with MIDI tracks
using external synths. Is there a way to have Ardour export a session by
simply playing through it in realtime (not freewheeling) and recording
what's coming from its master out? For now, I'm using an external app to
record my project when I need to export it.

I've only had one crash recently that hasn't been reported and fixed
yet, regarding CC automation -- it seems fine on some regions but very
buggy on others. I'll try to nail that down a bit more and get it
reported shortly.

If anyone's curious, here's a link to what I've written so far:

http://wootangent.net/~lsd/music/ambientthing5-dev3.ogg

Everything in there right now is MIDI, and I'm doing a bit of everything
I can think of for testing: external hardware synths (a Waldorf
Blofeld), JACK softsynths (Hydrogen), and LV2 synth plugins (Calf
Monosynth, LinuxSampler), with automation of both synth plugin
parameters and MIDI CCs. I'm bringing the external synth audio in to
Ardour using busses, and I also have some (automated) effects plugins,
and a send off to a hardware effects unit (an analog delay pedal) for
good measure.

Thanks
Leigh