[Ardour-Users] building ardour 3 on macOSX ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jan 13 08:42:39 PST 2011

On 01/13/2011 03:35 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>> That must be a recent issue or something Tiger specific. Both internal
>> and JACK-transport work here.
>
> You are the first person I have heard report this.  EVERYONE else I
> know of, and I suspect you are the only person I didn't know of(There
> are very few of us), that has built Ardour on OS X, transport was not
> working IIRC.  Very glad to hear it is working for you, now I need to
> figure out what the difference is.

This is svn r8082 from Nov 24 2010.

>>> I will also say that yes it can be built on Snow Leopard, however this
>>> IS difficult to do correctly due to the hybrid nature of Snow Leopard
>>> (32/64 Bit) and is quite frankly a pain to do correctly.
>>
>> I did a i386+ppc build. But I have not gotten around to test it on a PPC
>> yet. - I'm also still having problems to create a proper app-bundle.
>> I'm currently running it using ./ardev
>>
>> AFAIK it is not possible to create a x86_64 dylib of GTK++. But I did
>> use stable GTK sources (tar balls) and not the latest devel version.
>>
>> Do you know if latest GTK can be compiled with '-arch i386 -arch ppc
>> -arch x86_64 ...' on OSX ? I'd be interested to use that for other
>> projects as well.
>>

> I built GTK some time back 64 bit on Snow Leopard, but at the time I
> had to manhandle the build process to do so, and it was quite a
> headache(Thus my 'difficult' comments above).

GTK works with 64bit (though I needed to compile it separately and
'lipo' the dylibs together manually).  GTKmm failed. IIRC mostly issues
with typecasting void* pointers.

> In fact the original
> patches I gave to Paul back then only supported 64 Bit as I was
> forcing it through on that, but I believe Taybin(Might have been
> Torben, can't remember atm) came thorugh behind me and cleaned them up
> significantly thankfully.  However I have heard that it is now much
> easier to build GTK 64 bit on OS X, so I need to do this again, I have
> just been extremely short on time lately to be able to do much of
> anything.

I did not know you guys were involved deeply in GTK development as well.
Amazing. Keep up the good work.