[Ardour-Users] building ardour 3 on macOSX ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jan 13 06:09:08 PST 2011

On 01/13/2011 02:48 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> 2011/1/13 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>:
>> i'd say that its not so much difficult as extremely laborious and very
>> easily broken. it takes most of a day to get things set up to even
>> start the ardour build, and in addition, i have not kept up with
>> making the GTK patches required publically accessible (though to be
>> fair, can live without them). you building a3 is also extremely
>> consumptive of memory, so if you don't have big gobs of memory
>> available (say, 2GB on a 32 bit machine), it will be really slow to
>> build. also i've done the builds so far on Tiger - i'm not sure if
>> we've established that it will build correctly on Leopard or Snow
>> Leopard. finally, i don't know anyone who has actually done a build
>> that *runs* and its partly for this reason that i don't plan on doing
>> alpha releases for OS X - it will have to wait till we get to beta.
>>

> Depends on your definition of 'runs' of course.  Runs as in opens up
> and you can create sessions, open existing sessions,(And maybe even
> save a session) yes.  Runs as in does anything useful, no.  Transport
> doesn't work, so therefore you aren't ever going to get even remotely
> useful work out of it without significant investment in time
> troubleshooting and coding.

That must be a recent issue or something Tiger specific. Both internal
and JACK-transport work here.

> I will also say that yes it can be built on Snow Leopard, however this
> IS difficult to do correctly due to the hybrid nature of Snow Leopard
> (32/64 Bit) and is quite frankly a pain to do correctly.

I did a i386+ppc build. But I have not gotten around to test it on a PPC
yet. - I'm also still having problems to create a proper app-bundle.
I'm currently running it using ./ardev

AFAIK it is not possible to create a x86_64 dylib of GTK++. But I did
use stable GTK sources (tar balls) and not the latest devel version.

Do you know if latest GTK can be compiled with '-arch i386 -arch ppc
-arch x86_64 ...' on OSX ? I'd be interested to use that for other
projects as well.