[Ardour-Users] building ardour 3 on macOSX ?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 05:48:32 PST 2011

2011/1/13 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>:
> i'd say that its not so much difficult as extremely laborious and very
> easily broken. it takes most of a day to get things set up to even
> start the ardour build, and in addition, i have not kept up with
> making the GTK patches required publically accessible (though to be
> fair, can live without them). you building a3 is also extremely
> consumptive of memory, so if you don't have big gobs of memory
> available (say, 2GB on a 32 bit machine), it will be really slow to
> build. also i've done the builds so far on Tiger - i'm not sure if
> we've established that it will build correctly on Leopard or Snow
> Leopard. finally, i don't know anyone who has actually done a build
> that *runs* and its partly for this reason that i don't plan on doing
> alpha releases for OS X - it will have to wait till we get to beta.

Depends on your definition of 'runs' of course.  Runs as in opens up
and you can create sessions, open existing sessions,(And maybe even
save a session) yes.  Runs as in does anything useful, no.  Transport
doesn't work, so therefore you aren't ever going to get even remotely
useful work out of it without significant investment in time
troubleshooting and coding.

I will also say that yes it can be built on Snow Leopard, however this
IS difficult to do correctly due to the hybrid nature of Snow Leopard
(32/64 Bit) and is quite frankly a pain to do correctly.

So the short version of this is, unless you are already pretty dang
familiar with coding, build processes, and troubleshooting linker
errors among other problems that will pop up, don't do it.  I am
fairly familiar with most things in those regards, but I still had to
get Paul's help troubleshooting a couple of problems back when I did
the initial work to get it to even build on OS X.  If you are even
remotely considering Macports, don't apply.  Macports causes more
problems than it helps with in this regards.

        Seablade