[Ardour-Users] building ardour 3 on macOSX ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jan 13 06:05:39 PST 2011

On 01/13/2011 12:59 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> 2011/1/13 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>:
>> On 01/13/2011 11:27 AM, vic hug wrote:
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> im a brand newbie when it comes to compiling apps, or manipulating open
>>> source applications
>>> i would like to try ardour 3 on my mac osx (leopard, macbook pro intel)
>>> but i don't know if it's complicated
>>> is it at my reach ? i barely can use MacPorts... so i don't know if it's
>>> worth it for me to try
>>
>> it's not. there is no point in trying a3 unless you're very familiar with
>> compiling software on osx (read: an elder archwizard), and the last i heard,
>> compiling a3 on mac was still extremely painful...
>
> i'd say that its not so much difficult as extremely laborious and very
> easily broken. it takes most of a day to get things set up to even
> start the ardour build, and in addition, i have not kept up with
> making the GTK patches required publically accessible (though to be
> fair, can live without them). you building a3 is also extremely
> consumptive of memory, so if you don't have big gobs of memory
> available (say, 2GB on a 32 bit machine), it will be really slow to
> build. also i've done the builds so far on Tiger - i'm not sure if
> we've established that it will build correctly on Leopard or Snow
> Leopard. finally, i don't know anyone who has actually done a build
> that *runs*

I have done so on 10.6 some weeks ago (testing the video-timeline
patch). Not stress tested, but it works and plays Audio and MIDI
and looks like this: http://rg42.org/_media/wiki/a3vtl_osx1.png

Building ardour is the easy part, although I needed to tweak some of the
build scripts. Getting the dependencies esp. gtk takes quite some effort.

> and its partly for this reason that i don't plan on doing
> alpha releases for OS X - it will have to wait till we get to beta.
>
> as Jörn said, if you're new to this, its probably not worth the pain to try it.

I can second this.

ciao,
--
Robin Gareus
web: http://gareus.org/                mail: robin at gareus.org
lab: http://citu.fr/                   chat: xmpp:rgareus at ik.nu

Public Key at http://pgp.mit.edu/  http://gareus.org/public.asc
Fingerprint : 7107 840B 4DC9 C948 076D 6359 7955 24F1 4F95 2B42