[Ardour-Users] Session strategy/organizing question

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Jan 7 03:52:15 PST 2011

On Friday 07 January 2011 10:48:41 Ken Restivo wrote:
> I have a bunch of WAV files from a PT session that I'm going to be mixing
> in Ardour (yay, second Better Than Lahar CD!).
>
> The files don't correspond to any particular song. The session was rather
> "loose", in that we often left the transport running, and just blitzed
> through a bunch of songs and a bunch of takes rather casually.  Now I've
> got 9 sets of files per each Ardour track, some of which have two or three
> takes of totaly different songst.
>
> My question is this: is there any technical or logistical reason why I
> wouldn't just treat this like one huge unsplit session-- as if I had only
> one WAV file per Ardour track--, and keep the whole session in one big
> Ardour project directory, and just create different songname.ardour save
> files for each song?
>
> The only downside I could think of, is if I were to want to send just one
> song to someone else to track or mix it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to
> be doing all the overdubbing and mixing on this stuff.

I think it depends. If you want all the songs to aim for the same sound
because its the same album or live-recording, then one big session will be
what you want.

If its different songs with different feelings and different instruments and
needed plugins/effects, it might be better for the work-flow to make individual
ardour sessions.
This should not affect disk-space as ardour hard-links source-files unless
samplerate conversion is involved or other implications (like user-
intervention) tell it so.

Have fun,

Arnold