[Ardour-Users] Session strategy/organizing question

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jan 7 22:31:31 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:52:15PM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Friday 07 January 2011 10:48:41 Ken Restivo wrote:
> > I have a bunch of WAV files from a PT session that I'm going to be mixing
> > in Ardour (yay, second Better Than Lahar CD!).
> >
> > The files don't correspond to any particular song. The session was rather
> > "loose", in that we often left the transport running, and just blitzed
> > through a bunch of songs and a bunch of takes rather casually.  Now I've
> > got 9 sets of files per each Ardour track, some of which have two or three
> > takes of totaly different songst.
> >
> > My question is this: is there any technical or logistical reason why I
> > wouldn't just treat this like one huge unsplit session-- as if I had only
> > one WAV file per Ardour track--, and keep the whole session in one big
> > Ardour project directory, and just create different songname.ardour save
> > files for each song?
> >
> > The only downside I could think of, is if I were to want to send just one
> > song to someone else to track or mix it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to
> > be doing all the overdubbing and mixing on this stuff.
>
> I think it depends. If you want all the songs to aim for the same sound
> because its the same album or live-recording, then one big session will be
> what you want.
>
> If its different songs with different feelings and different instruments and
> needed plugins/effects, it might be better for the work-flow to make individual
> ardour sessions.
> This should not affect disk-space as ardour hard-links source-files unless
> samplerate conversion is involved or other implications (like user-
> intervention) tell it so.

This is slightly orthogonal from what I was asking. I wasn't going to keep all the songs in one *project* (i.e. projectname.ardour), but rather in one *directory*, with independent songname.ardour files. i.e.

projectname/song1.ardour
projectname/song2.ardour
projectname/song3.ardour
projectname/interchange/projectname/audiofiles/KICK1.wav
projectname/interchange/projectname/audiofiles/KICK2.wav
projectname/interchange/projectname/audiofiles/KICK3.wav
projectname/interchange/projectname/audiofiles/SNARE1.wav
projectname/interchange/projectname/audiofiles/SNARE2.wav
projectname/interchange/projectname/audiofiles/SNARE2.wav

etc etc

I'd open each songnameX.ardour as a separate project, but the audio files would all be smooshed together in one directory, even as I start adding overdubs on top of overdubs.

Any potential problems with this?

-ken