[Ardour-Users] Session strategy/organizing question

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Jan 7 02:17:42 PST 2011

On 01/07/2011 10:55 AM, Steve Folta wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Ken Restivo<ken at restivo.org>  wrote:
>> I have a bunch of WAV files from a PT session that I'm going to be
>> mixing in Ardour (yay, second Better Than Lahar CD!).
>>
>> The files don't correspond to any particular song. The session was
>> rather "loose", in that we often left the transport running, and
>> just blitzed through a bunch of songs and a bunch of takes rather
>> casually.  Now I've got 9 sets of files per each Ardour track, some
>> of which have two or three takes of totaly different songst.
>>
>> My question is this: is there any technical or logistical reason
>> why I wouldn't just treat this like one huge unsplit session-- as
>> if I had only one WAV file per Ardour track--, and keep the whole
>> session in one big Ardour project directory, and just create
>> different songname.ardour save files for each song?
>
> I did just that for a session recently.  It worked great.

yeah, same here. the good thing is that you don't have to use plugin
presets or session templates much. you just start mixing a pretty
representative song and save that. then when you move to other songs,
the basic plugin settings, panning etc. are already in place.
of course you could also keep it all in one snapshot and use automation
for the settings differences between songs, but i would not really
recommend that.

the downside is that any mistakes you make affect all songs you base on
the current session snapshot. "lock edit" mode is your friend here, and
locking regions could also be a good idea.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net