[Ardour-Users] Good plugins, Re: Hm...

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Sep 2 08:42:00 PDT 2010

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:03:34 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 01:28 +0100, Noel Darlow wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:06:57 -0400
> > Paul Winkler <slinkp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I would be really curious which plugins you use a lot, and what gear
> > > they replaced. Always on the lookout for good plugins!

I haven't had a chance to look on my machine to see what's in the sessions,
but I really like the SC compressors, and there are a number of good reverbs,
as have already been mentioned.  I've been able to eliminate an Alesis 3630
compressor and a TC Electronics multi-effect unit the model of which I've
forgotten.  There are also some nice EQs that get used but I can't remember
which ones at all.

> I guess for effects it's similar as it is for synth. If we wish to have
> the sound quality of beasts like the CME microchips for synth, we need
> to use external devices.
>
> IMO plugins are useful additions, but they seldom could replace gear.

I tend to disagree - in DSPs the chips are irrelevant, it's all about the
algorithms.  I'm not a high-end studio, though what has come out of it
sounds pretty good to me and to the folks that I've recorded there.

It'll never replace all gear - my housemate recently unearthed a pair
of SpectraSonics Complimiter 610s from his basement (!!!) and they're going
into the rack soon - if for nothing else than 2 more mic preamps (that
apparently also do an amazing job of crushing a signal when cranked up).

> Not a plugin, but for me JAMin did replace several low-cost compressors,
> in the price range of homerecording Fostex, Alesis etc. compressors.

I believe that Jamin uses the SC family of compressor plugins.  Using those
directly will improve performance - Jamin's pretty CPU intensive, and I don't
need all its bells & whistles until the mastering stage.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com