[Ardour-Users] [Music] A couple of prog rock pieces

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Tue Mar 16 16:58:06 PDT 2010

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

This is my first post to the list, I believe, so not really a case of
"welcome back", but I couldn't resist. Anyway, hello to everyone and a
big hello thank you to any Ardour devs who might be watching!

I've just completed a small segment of a piece and I thought I'd share
that, plus a larger segment of another piece, which I completed in
October last year.

The new track is instrumental symphonic prog and just the first section
of a longer piece -- this bit is finished and I know very vaguely where
it's going next but haven't got around to writing and recording it yet
(I work very slowly). It's an old idea from about 12 years ago, which
I've finally got around to developing and doing something with.

I've been giving Ardour and my PC some abuse with it -- when I totted up
late last night I counted 50 active tracks and 28 busses. Even my mixing
goes in for prog rock excess! :-P

A couple of months ago I finally got around to building Ardour myself --
I think the first time I've compiled anything -- and I have to say it
wasn't as scary as I thought it might be! Consequently, these days I use
a mixture of LADSPA and LV2 plugins for mixing: the EQ10Q and Invada and
Calf compressors have been invaluable for this project.

Anyway, I give you the short, and hopefully sweet, Beyond Triple Point
(part 1):

FLAC (14.6 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Beyond-Triple-Point_Part1_16-03-10.flac

OGG-10 (7.4 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Beyond-Triple-Point_Part1_16-03-10.ogg

MP3 (6.2 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Beyond-Triple-Point_Part1_16-03-10.mp3

The second piece is one I finished in October last year and posted on
the Linux Audio User list -- I hadn't subscribed to this list back then.

It's four completed sections of what will, hopefully, be a much longer
piece. Again, what's presented is finished, give or take a few tweaks
here and there when I finally get around to revisiting it, and I have
some vague ideas of where it's going next.

Again, it's instrumental symphonic progressive rock, but inspired in
style to a fair degree by some of my favourite bands, certain moody
Scandinavian groups of the past couple of decades.

It was tracked in three separate Ardour sessions, bounced down and
composited in a fourth. At the time I was only using LADSPA plugins for
mixing.

It's called Lovatnet (parts 1-4). Caution: it starts off very quietly
but gets a fair bit louder in places:

FLAC (22.7 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Lovatnet_pts_1-4_mixdown_26-10-09.flac

OGG-7 (6.6 MB):
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Lovatnet_pts_1-4_mixdown_26-10-09_ogg7.ogg

MP3 (7.2 MB)
www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Lovatnet_pts_1-4_mixdown_26-10-09.mp3

Both tracks are just mixed down, no post-processing/mastering, so not
incredibly polished. But I hope you might possibly enjoy them nevertheless.