[Ardour-Users] How to add an effect to a track

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo at dellorfano.net
Thu Mar 4 03:46:49 PST 2010

I may be restating what's already been stated but here is my take.

I will use reverb as an example. I create a stereo bus and name it
reverb. The output of course goes to the master out. I put a reverb
plugin in the prefader box of the bus. (if I am using vst plugins in a
host program I can always set this up as a prefader insert).

Now on the track I set up a prefader send to the inputs of the reverb
bus. The end result is that I have totally dry signal on original
track and totally wet signal on bus so I can change the mix. Plus,
with fader automation on the reverb bus I can add the effect at
selected times.

This is a pretty standard workflow. I learned this from a great book
called "producing and recording in the home studio" by David Franz. It
is available through Berklee online. They also offer some excellent
online music courses.

Joe Dell'Orfano