[Ardour-Users] autoconnect to alsa fails, export disconnects ardour from jack

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 27 02:14:21 PST 2010

> Dear Ardour users,
>
> yesterday we had our first succesful recording session (trial) with
> the "new" saffire pro 10 interface and the latest ardour, built on
> ubuntu 9.10.

Congratulations. This is a real achievement and not many people are able
to claim this as a trophy :-)

> I'm writing this from work, so if specific software
> versions are required I'll have to send them this evening.
>
> Some questions / issues that came up:
>
> - probably alsa/ffado/firewire related: both alsaplayer (-o jack) and
>    ardour complain that they cannot connect to the alsa inputs/outputs
>    automatically.  In Jack I can connect them manually just fine and
>    everything works.  The names do seem to match.  Anyone seen this
>    before?  I can record the exact error messages tonight.
>
> - Despite complaining, Ardour does properly connect the physical
>    system inputs automatically to the individual tracks, and it
>    also seems to connect the auditioner to the system outputs 1/2
>    automatically.  It does not connect master 1/2 to system outputs
>    1/2.  I don't get any sound from ardour unless I connect master to
>    system output myself.  How is this supposed to work?  Do I have to
>    do something to get sound from the auditioner outputs?  Should the
>    master bus be connected to the system outputs like I did manually?
>
> - When exporting to audiofile, ardour complains that it couldn't keep
>    up and the connection to jack was (verifiably) lost.  Sometimes I
>    can reconnect, sometimes I need to reset jack + the audio
>    interface.  Anything I can do to prevent that?

You may need to tweak your realtime performance settings. It may also be
driver related.

> - I'm still reading through the manual, but haven't found the answer
>    yet.  When exporting to audio file, Ardour seems to use the "end"
>    marker as the point to stop exporting.  I've tried to move that
>    manually, but it appears to get reset automatically.  This results
>    in spurious empty data at the end of the wave file.  What's the
>    typical method to mark the range you want to export to audio file?

You can choose to export to range, marker or session. I usually export
to selected range.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd