[Ardour-Users] autoconnect to alsa fails, export disconnects ardour from jack

Hein Zelle hein at icce.rug.nl
Thu Jan 28 00:04:14 PST 2010

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> >yesterday we had our first succesful recording session (trial) with
> >the "new" saffire pro 10 interface and the latest ardour, built on
> >ubuntu 9.10.
>
> Congratulations. This is a real achievement and not many people are
> able to claim this as a trophy :-)

I hope you did not read that as the latest development version (it was
2.8.4), but thanks!  I'm very happy everything works, and fairly
smoothly even.

Which is surprising, as Paul made me discover that I probably used the
standard kernel without realtime patches for the recording.  Hmmmz.

> >- When exporting to audiofile, ardour complains that it couldn't keep
> >   up and the connection to jack was (verifiably) lost.  Sometimes I
> >   can reconnect, sometimes I need to reset jack + the audio
> >   interface.  Anything I can do to prevent that?
>
> You may need to tweak your realtime performance settings. It may
> also be driver related.

As stated in the reply to Paul, retrying with the realtime kernel did
not change the behaviour.  It's not a serious problem, I'll see if I
can change it with some different realtime settings.  Don't have those
handy right now to copy, but I took them off the ffado website, I
believe.  Very low latency around 5 ms and I saw no xruns.

> You can choose to export to range, marker or session. I usually
> export to selected range.

I think my problem was I didn't understand what "range" meant yet, or
how to set one.  I found the selection mechanism in the manual, and
managed to export just the selected range.   Seems to work fine.
I'll have to try out the markers still.

Thanks!
	  Hein

 Hein Zelle                     hein at icce.rug.nl