[Ardour-Users] autoconnect to alsa fails, export disconnects ardour from jack

Hein Zelle hein at icce.rug.nl
Wed Jan 27 00:37:56 PST 2010

Dear Ardour users,

yesterday we had our first succesful recording session (trial) with
the "new" saffire pro 10 interface and the latest ardour, built on
ubuntu 9.10.  I'm writing this from work, so if specific software
versions are required I'll have to send them this evening.

Some questions / issues that came up:

- probably alsa/ffado/firewire related: both alsaplayer (-o jack) and
  ardour complain that they cannot connect to the alsa inputs/outputs
  automatically.  In Jack I can connect them manually just fine and
  everything works.  The names do seem to match.  Anyone seen this
  before?  I can record the exact error messages tonight.

- Despite complaining, Ardour does properly connect the physical
  system inputs automatically to the individual tracks, and it
  also seems to connect the auditioner to the system outputs 1/2
  automatically.  It does not connect master 1/2 to system outputs
  1/2.  I don't get any sound from ardour unless I connect master to
  system output myself.  How is this supposed to work?  Do I have to
  do something to get sound from the auditioner outputs?  Should the
  master bus be connected to the system outputs like I did manually?

- When exporting to audiofile, ardour complains that it couldn't keep
  up and the connection to jack was (verifiably) lost.  Sometimes I
  can reconnect, sometimes I need to reset jack + the audio
  interface.  Anything I can do to prevent that?

- I'm still reading through the manual, but haven't found the answer
  yet.  When exporting to audio file, Ardour seems to use the "end"
  marker as the point to stop exporting.  I've tried to move that
  manually, but it appears to get reset automatically.  This results
  in spurious empty data at the end of the wave file.  What's the
  typical method to mark the range you want to export to audio file?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
     Hein Zelle

--

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein at icce.rug.nl
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein