[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 16:02:24 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:29:30AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> It's less a matter of habit and more being able to turn the monitor
>> down as soon as the singer points his microphone at it
>
> :D I like this example.
>
> I guess pushing a mute button for an aux channel (depending to the
> architecture of the mixing console) by mouse could be done as soon, as
> by using a mixing console, assumed that the virtual mixer doesn't need a
> scrolling, but is shown completely.

Controlling this sort of thing with a mouse is not an option.
It's essential to have dedicated controls for this
(even if they have to be assigned to this particular function).

>> , or to react as
>> soon as the same singer runs in front of a PA stack with the microphone.
>>
> That's much more funny :D.
> Rip out the cable and after doing this shoot the singer :D. It doesn't
> matter if you're using a computer or a classic mixer.

If a band employs me I'm there to help make it possible for them to put on
the show. Coping with this kind of thing is what I'm paid for. I expect
the PA company to provide gear that's up to that task. It doesn't always work
out that way at small gigs but at bigger gigs the gear and system techs are
usually very professional (they wouldn't last long in the job if they weren't).

John