[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 25 16:27:02 PST 2010

John Rigg wrote:
>> I guess pushing a mute button for an aux channel (depending to the
>> architecture of the mixing console) by mouse could be done as soon, as
>> by using a mixing console, assumed that the virtual mixer doesn't need a
>> scrolling, but is shown completely.
>>

> Controlling this sort of thing with a mouse is not an option.
> It's essential to have dedicated controls for this
> (even if they have to be assigned to this particular function).

I "feel" the same, but does it really matter. Isn't it just a habit +
talent to use the mouse?

>>> , or to react as
>>> soon as the same singer runs in front of a PA stack with the microphone.
>>>

>> That's much more funny :D.
>> Rip out the cable and after doing this shoot the singer :D. It doesn't
>> matter if you're using a computer or a classic mixer.
>>

> If a band employs me I'm there to help make it possible for them to put on
> the show. Coping with this kind of thing is what I'm paid for. I expect
> the PA company to provide gear that's up to that task. It doesn't always work
> out that way at small gigs but at bigger gigs the gear and system techs are
> usually very professional (they wouldn't last long in the job if they weren't).

Okay, Germans are not known for good humour, but Germans are able to be
serious, so ... "If a band employs me I'm there to help" ... Full ACK,
helping a band includes to avoid some accidents.

I won't bite off more than I can chew. I'm an experienced audio engineer
for the studio, but I've got very, very .... very less experience for
live engineering.

Indeed, it's the engineers job to avoid most problems.

Because I don't have enough experiences for live mixing, I've got doubt
because of the "problem" ... is it the hardware or is it the habit of
the engineer?