[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 14:50:35 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:03:54PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> John Rigg wrote:
>> In live work it's essential to have instant (or as near instant as
>> possible) access to controls. If it's necessary to page through
>> menus or use a mouse to adjust something it's usually too late.
>>

> Perhaps you're an old man too ;). While we need to page through menus
> today, we needed to jump two meters to reach the needed controller in
> the past. Maybe this is some kind of habituation. What needs more time,
> sitting at one place and paging through menus or jumping from one place
> to the other on classic live equipment? For me the old way is more
> intuitive.

It's less a matter of habit and more being able to turn the monitor
down as soon as the singer points his microphone at it, or to react as
soon as the same singer runs in front of a PA stack with the microphone.
Live bands are not predictable. Any unnecessary latency in the control
interface increases the risk of system damage.

John