[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 13:52:54 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:07:52PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> The 'computer' doesn't have to be a 'PC'. It could be an embedded
> system running Linux inside a box that looks like anything, including
> a mixer.

True.

> The last Yes show I saw was 100% automated - sound, lights,
> everything.

A lot of it would have been automated, but not all.

> All the VUs were just gadgets on CRTs built into some sort
> of console. the console did have faders. I couldn't get close enough
> to see who the manufacturer was but it was my impression it was just a
> some sort of microprocessor based system.

Quite possible, but the user interface on the newer digital mixers is pretty
sophisticated. In live work it's essential to have instant (or as near
instant as possible) access to controls. If it's necessary to page through
menus or use a mouse to adjust something it's usually too late.

> I don't see why a Linux based machine couldn't be put into a very
> specific sort of console box.

Allen & Heath have already done it with the iLive series.

John