[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 25 13:39:54 PST 2010

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I couldn't get close enough
> to see who the manufacturer was but it was my impression it was just a
> some sort of microprocessor based system.

A very good sentence. It's the same for me, when I saw a concert on
television and while half-hearted googleing.

Do they use some digital DSP and Pic based automated hardware and
additional very selected computers? And what are the computers for?
Perhaps they just restore the flying faders. Or are the computers really
needed, e.g. for the headphone monitoring?

OTOH because of the safeness. Harrison is using Ardour and when
recording an orchestra just in the studio "halls" (not live), the same
safeness is needed as for live performance.

I guess the computer is used to manage digital hardware based on DSPs
and Pics (I call all microprocessors Pics ;), I'm an old man).

My computer sometimes doesn't crash when doing heavy audio work for a
whole week and sometimes it crashes 20 times a day.

> I don't see why a Linux based machine couldn't be put into a very
> specific sort of console box. No extra apps. Nothing gets loaded
> except mixing templates. My Linux boxes don't crash much, and
> certainly don't crash when Ardour is setup and all I'm doing is moving
> faders. Ardour running on a little embedded Linux box with not much
> disk interface - maybe just a 60GB SSD because it's not recording -
> and a couple of RME interfaces would give more than enough channels
> for most bands.

Full ACK and the community knows me as the ultimate nagger because of
Linux ;).

A selected consumer board, using the correct ship set, no version of
OpenOffice, Firefox and Flashplayer etc. just running a proofed
kernel-rt and what else is needed, is something complete different to a
home studio using all those SVN versions for a complete studio in the box.

> But again, it's just an idea. Linux is very stable once you set it up
> and don't let mix-monkeys install apps and change things.

No, there also is the chip-set-motherboard-issue and for live
performance also the ... I'll call it "military chip issue" ... in the
past there were different qualities for the chips.

But as I said before, I don't have knowledge about that. I would like to
know if there are really computer processed solutions, that can't work
on, when the computer crashes.

Ralf