[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 06:27:32 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM, John Rigg <au at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:

> SAWstudio might not be ubiquitous but it is used in a few high-end
> recording and
> mastering studios. A fair example IMO.

Yes, this was more or less my point. I do think when defining success there
needs to be a distinction made between conquering a market and servicing a
particular market with a quality product in an economically sustainable way.
I've never thought SAWStudio to be ubiquitous; merely that it was an example
of success that doesn't conform to the expectation of mass market
economics.

Talking about quantum leaps and jet streams might sound great on corporate
shareholder reports, but perhaps it's not exactly the aims of a single
developer, community centric DAW designed from the ground up in constant
consultation with that community. To be fair to John Emmas, I think
SAWStudio has ironically managed to survive from a revenue stream based on
its somewhat inflated, though tiered, pricing schedule. In fact, I have no
beef with a suggestion to diversify revenue streams. The only beef I have is
with the notion that quality is equal to quantity, and that throwing man
hours and money at Ardour is somehow the panacea to conquering the DAW
world. Or that that, in itself, is somehow a worthy goal for Ardour.

Then again, I'm just a user and a happy subscriber to the subscriber payment
model...

best
-m