[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Jason Russler jason.russler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:03:55 PST 2010

I only lurk this list but I have an observation that everyone must be
aware of but that I'll iterate anyway to put this discussion in
another light.  Pardon me if it seems naive:  There is a bizarre
obsession with the  "high-end" on this list.  There's all kinds of
interest in penetrating professional recording/broadcast studios and
the minds real recording engineers.   This is not a growth market and
it's already glutted.  Project studios in people's basements for
various types of independent production make up a much larger market
in pure volume and there are more and more of them.  Ardour isn't
designed to reach them and everyone knows how steep the technical and
licensing difficulties are to get into that arena.

That said, I don't think that the concept of getting more money to the
project and a gigantic "feature request" can really be separated in
the strategic sense.  I understand that this discussion is more
concerned with short-term income.  However I don't know what the
current strategic vision for Ardour is apart from penetrating a
dwindling market.  My hope is that there is one for getting into
project studios.

Whatever the vision is, it's not really my business since it's not my
baby.  However, if I could use Ardour in my project studio - I'd be a
very happy, loyal, paying customer.