[Ardour-Users] tax deductible Re: Ardour 2.8.5 released

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Jan 24 15:13:06 PST 2010

On 01/25/2010 08:29 AM, John Rigg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:38:40PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'm wrong, Ardour is comparable to Pro Tools and others, than it
>> shouldn't be a problem to sell it to studios, because they need to spend
>> money, to get tax advantages. It makes me wonder that there are no
>> people who ask to pay for Ardour, because of tax advantages.
>>
> Studios don't spend money in order to get tax advantages, that would
> be crazy. The tax advantages merely reduce the cost of things that
> might otherwise be unaffordable.

Most businesses don't spend money unless they have to. At the moment
well funded customers still demand pro tools in order to feel like they
are getting value for money. They pay good cash from their hiked up
retainers to use the expensive gear at the cool studio that all the
other cool artists work with.

The time has come for more studios like laughing boy:
http://www.laughingboyrecords.com/

>> If Ardour is comparable and if there nevertheless aren't studios that
>> want to pay for Ardour, than just phone calls to studios, establishing
>> contacts on music trade fairs is needed.
>>
> You have a very naive view of today's recording business. Commercial
> studios are dropping like flies. Rates are falling to the point where
> the real estate value of premises is far higher than possible future
> earnings. In this economic climate, nobody is able to spend any more than
> absolutely necessary. PT HD is still the de facto industry standard, but
> for how much longer?

You also have to consider whether or not digidesign is actually
operating at a profit. Most big companies are not at the moment and
music industry companies are even worse off than most. How long they can
continue to support their business model without significant cash
investment from a more well funded investor is an unknown.

> Nobody is claiming that Ardour is an exact replacement for PT, Logic etc.,
> but for me at least it does enough to make it a viable recording platform.

And due to the current financial model Ardour is well placed to survive
the current economic crunch which means it will only get better. The
past year of community donations has effectively allowed Paul to focus
his efforts on ardour3 and bring it to a public release stage which is a
major milestone and a huge achievement.

Not bad considering that this time last year he was considering throwing
in the towel due to funding drying up.

With ardour3 we will see a new era for ardour adoption. It could well be
the final nail for digidesigns bloated and over hyped coffin. And it
only cost Paul 12 years of his life and half of his retirement savings...

As JayZ said... "This is the death of Autotune"

Ardour is the grim reaper's assistant on this matter.

The King is dead, Long Live the King!!!

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd