[Ardour-Users] tax deductible Re: Ardour 2.8.5 released

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Jan 24 15:36:39 PST 2010

On 01/25/2010 08:51 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> John Rigg wrote:
>> Studios don't spend money in order to get tax advantages
>
> Armortisation, write down.

Most studios don't invest in their main software for the write down.
However having a tax deductible option will be useful for some bigger
companies to help justify the risk factor of adopting new software and
associated unknowns like training, deployment, resistance to adoption etc...

I don't know if you have ever tried to deploy a Linux or even open
source technology in a busy company but there are a lot of issues that
come up that hinder adoption. All you need is one mouthy "knowledgable"
employee to go off on a tangent and that plants the seed of doubt for
everyone else and makes adoption a very long drawn out process.

>> PT HD is still the de facto industry standard, but for how much longer?
>
> Because of the HD rigs I guess an equivalent for Ardour might be
> something like this:
>
> http://www.64studio.com/harrison_demo_in_cardiff
>
> But this is business and I'm not a business man. Even bigger studios
> not seldom just use Logic or Nuendo instead of PT HD rigs.
>
> And I guess other products, e.g. http://www.indamixx.com/ should have
> an interest in supporting Paul.

While indamixx is a great product it is not reasonable to expect Trinity
Audio Inc to fund ardour development from the existing sales of the
product. Trinity has already invested money into ardour and until there
is a significant return it is unlikely that there will be a large sum
available for ardour to tap again.

Seperately it's not reasonable to expect Linux based companies that are
trying to support and build the business side of the community to also
fund the development of software for the currently much larger user base
of non business focused community members.

Also you seem to be under the impression that there is a lot of money
being made. While there is money being made it is not enough for most
people to justify the amount of time/energy and resources that is being
invested.

Hence Ardour has a community funded model that is in place and is
unlikely to change any time soon because it is working out at least as
well as anyone hoped. After all Paul is still working on Ardour pretty
much full time which was the main goal.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd