[Ardour-Users] tax deductible Re: Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 13:29:32 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:38:40PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> can't speak for Samplitude, but never had this trouble when using Logic
> on a Mac and Cubase on Windows. I don't know anybody having this
> trouble

Maybe you need to get out more. I've seen plenty of crashes on Logic,
and from what a lot of users of `low end' Pro Tools (LE and M-Powered)
tell me those aren't any more reliable. PT HD is at least better in
this regard.

> Okay, I'm wrong, Ardour is comparable to Pro Tools and others, than it
> shouldn't be a problem to sell it to studios, because they need to spend
> money, to get tax advantages. It makes me wonder that there are no
> people who ask to pay for Ardour, because of tax advantages.

Studios don't spend money in order to get tax advantages, that would
be crazy. The tax advantages merely reduce the cost of things that
might otherwise be unaffordable.

> If Ardour is comparable and if there nevertheless aren't studios that
> want to pay for Ardour, than just phone calls to studios, establishing
> contacts on music trade fairs is needed.

You have a very naive view of today's recording business. Commercial
studios are dropping like flies. Rates are falling to the point where
the real estate value of premises is far higher than possible future
earnings. In this economic climate, nobody is able to spend any more than
absolutely necessary. PT HD is still the de facto industry standard, but
for how much longer?

Nobody is claiming that Ardour is an exact replacement for PT, Logic etc.,
but for me at least it does enough to make it a viable recording platform.

John