[Ardour-Users] tax deductible Re: Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 24 12:38:40 PST 2010

John Rigg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 06:37:33PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> There's nothing wrong with asking for 45,-US$, but your comparison isn't
>> correct. 2000US$ software comes with algorithm Linux is missing, printed
>> manuals and a guarantee. How many of those 5000 downloads are users, how
>> many of those downloads are testers?
>>

> The comparison seems fair to me, especially as it isn't as direct
> as you appear to think. When I was upgrading my recording
> setup I could have bought the latest Pro Tools HD. I had the budget
> at the time (but have since spent it on other gear). The fact is Ardour
> suits my working methods better. Closed source software bugs drive me nuts.
> You can't do anything to fix them as a user, end of story.
>

>>> The first times I tried to run Logic, Cubase and Samplitude, they all
>>> crashed several times in the first hour of use.
>>>
>> Cracks or original software? On an audio machine or on a Machine with
>> Microsoft office suit drivers?
>>

> Ralf, implying that the person you're corresponding with is an idiot
> is not a good way to make yourself popular.

Really my last note ;).

Hi John :)

can't speak for Samplitude, but never had this trouble when using Logic
on a Mac and Cubase on Windows. I don't know anybody having this
trouble, excepted of someone who always bought the current Macs, he one
time had trouble. For Linux (not especially for Ardour) it's vice versa
for most people I know and me. Btw. there were detailed printed manuals,
a MIDI sequencer and a lot of other extras for Logic and Cubase.

And I'm serious because of tax advantages. Even Logic and Cubase isn't
paid by the average user, they do use cracks. Studios more often than
usual users do buy this software.

Okay, I'm wrong, Ardour is comparable to Pro Tools and others, than it
shouldn't be a problem to sell it to studios, because they need to spend
money, to get tax advantages. It makes me wonder that there are no
people who ask to pay for Ardour, because of tax advantages.

If Ardour is comparable and if there nevertheless aren't studios that
want to pay for Ardour, than just phone calls to studios, establishing
contacts on music trade fairs is needed. Most friends of me aren't
salesman, I'm not a salesman too, but I know one, Dirk Brauner, he did
work hard to sell his microphones and he exactly did it by the way I
described and by lend out microphones for free to become popular.

At least Paul has trouble to get enough money, so I guess that there is
something wrong with his business model.
You might feel that my criticism is something evil, okay. But it isn't,
guess I said the truth, but I could be wrong, what I think might be the
truth, could be false.

Obviously it doesn't help Paul to agree to everything he is writing,
just to praise the advantages of Ardour, when there isn't enough money
for him to live.

Please see my criticism not just as something evil.

IMHO the averaged user will use Linux for free or will use cracks for
other OSs, while studios will pay, because of tax laws.

Who are the 5000 people who download Ardour for Mac? Why don't they
donate enough money? What ever the reason might be, there's a reason for
this.

I might be a complete idiot. If so, somebody hopefully has an idea what
Paul could do, to get the needed money.

To put a gloss on Ardour won't help Paul to get money.

Best,
Ralf