[Ardour-Users] tax deductible Re: Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 11:39:41 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 06:37:33PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with asking for 45,-US$, but your comparison isn't
> correct. 2000US$ software comes with algorithm Linux is missing, printed
> manuals and a guarantee. How many of those 5000 downloads are users, how
> many of those downloads are testers?

The comparison seems fair to me, especially as it isn't as direct
as you appear to think. When I was upgrading my recording
setup I could have bought the latest Pro Tools HD. I had the budget
at the time (but have since spent it on other gear). The fact is Ardour
suits my working methods better. Closed source software bugs drive me nuts.
You can't do anything to fix them as a user, end of story.

>> The first times I tried to run Logic, Cubase and Samplitude, they all
>> crashed several times in the first hour of use.
>
> Cracks or original software? On an audio machine or on a Machine with
> Microsoft office suit drivers?

Ralf, implying that the person you're corresponding with is an idiot
is not a good way to make yourself popular.

John