[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 24 09:43:48 PST 2010

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 17:15 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>

>> A product like Nuendo is a complete different product, because of
>> quality and quantity. Even Reaper seems to be on a higher level than
>> Ardour 2.8.5 seems to be. Fraudulent representations shouldn't be used
>> to ask for donations. I'm fine with comparative advertising as long as
>> it isn't deceptive advertising. Btw. I never tested energyXT 2.5, it's
>> for Linux and costs 49,-€.
>>

> Whether or not Ardour can stand its ground in a direct comparison to one
> of the mentioned apps is very much open to debate (there are whole
> blocks of functionality present there that Ardour doesn't have, but it
> depends on the use case and personal workflow in how far that matters).
>
> But the scrolling text starts with "Some indicative pricing ..."
> It says nothing like: Ardour is as good as Nuendo. It's just a list of
> prices offered to provide context.
>
> Your lack of understanding is really hurtful in my perception. You
> should be more careful with terms like "shady".

Sorry for that.

As I've written before:

"*It is tax deductible for professional studios and they would pay for
an Ardour that is comparable to Pro Tools, Samplitude, Nuendo*. Why
don't you go this way?

Enough said by me.

It shouldn't be an assault.  Especially the tax deductible for
professional studios isn't an assault, but a hint. This is the way how
proprietary companies work. All the kids are using cracks, but studios
pay a lot of money, when the quality is good. If Ardour's quality is
comparable, than there shouldn't be a problem to sell Ardour."

I guess that way Paul should get the money he needs.