[Ardour-Users] import procedure

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:01:08 PST 2010

On 21/01/2010, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> On 20 January 2010 at 18:01, plutek-infinity <plutek at infinity.net> wrote:
>
>> following from ken's thread about import crashes, i'd like to
>> investigate multi-file import methodology a bit here....
>
> When I imported from ProTools to Ardour with an early version of
> ardour 2.X I imported all the files individually, then created
> enough tracks to hold each of those, then drag-dropped those onto
> the tracks.  As I recall the biggest issue I faced is that most
> of the tracks were discontinuous, that is that 20 seconds of solo
> needed to be hand placed by me on the time axis where I heard
> it in the reference mix I had out of ProTools, which I'd also
> imported.
>
> I know there are ways, and I've used them, to make time
> synchronization aspects of importing easier to deal with.  But,
> proper planning is always important here.  In my case the person
> who wrote the song handed me a disc with his data on it and it
> was up to me to reconstruct something workable in Ardour.
>
> I don't think this is relevant to the import crash issue.  I hope
> it's relevant to the larger question of an import procedure.  I
> imagine that there might be some differences in procedure depending
> on the source of the imported files.

I always consolidate the tracks to fit the maximum length, so I have a
uniform set to just drag and drop no matter what my DAW is. This is
also why I always work with grids, but most of the time that doesn't
matter at all because all I need is to align/sync the start point.

Been there with Pro Tools and REAPER projects.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD