[Ardour-Users] 2.8.6 Master out error

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Wed Feb 3 15:18:16 PST 2010

On 02/03/2010 09:25 PM, John Rigg wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 02:46:16PM -0500, plutek-infinity wrote:
>> for the record, doesn't `automatically connect outputs to master bus' only
>> refer to connections between individual tracks and the master bus, not
>> connections from master bus to something else?
>
> Yes, you're right. What has been happening is that the Master bus hasn't
> been connecting to the system outputs when opening a new session.
> I failed to spot that as an error (it's been a long day).
>
> Once this has happened I can't connect any other tracks to Master,
> and can't connect Master to system outputs until I restart Ardour.
>
>> when i start a new session with autoconnection off, the master bus is still
>> connected to the system outputs, but no tracks are connected to the master
>> bus. if i then disconnect the master bus outputs, i can reconnect them
>> without trouble. also, if i save the session with the master outs
>> disconnected and then restart ardour, i can connect the master outs
>> without trouble.
>
> This is the behaviour I expect, and it seemed to be working this way
> until a couple of hours ago when it started to go wrong. I'll try again
> tomorrow and report back. Thanks for checking.

i have a feeling that sometimes ardour does not "free" unused jack ports
when loading a new session at runtime. it's not 100% reproducible, and i
may be mistaken, but i think i sometimes run out of jack ports when i
shouldn't be. those alleged "zombie" ports aren't visible in qjackctl,
though...
and i've seen similar connection problems, sometimes with inserts.
maybe it's related to what you're seeing, maybe not. i'll keep an eye on it.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier