[Ardour-Users] Automation from analog mix?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Dec 17 08:21:00 PST 2010

Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net> writes:

> On 12/17/2010 02:43 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering: if you are recording using a mixer (and using pre-fader
>> recording outputs), wouldn't it be feasible to record the analog mix and
>> use echo compensation techniques for figuring out the fader settings (if
>> we are more ambitious, equalizer settings) and pull them into the
>> automation?  That would allow one to use a good analog mixer (with all
>> its nice controls) to do all the mixing hands-on, and still get output
>> with the quality achievable by digital mixing.
>
> you mean i would feed pink noise into each of my mixer channels,

Nope, just the usual signals.

> buy a 32ch a/d converter to get the tape outs,

It's already there if you are recording the sources.

> devote two or three cpu cores to analyzing what i do to the pink noise
> and mimick that using fader and eq automation? and all that to end up
> with a control surface that doesn't have flying faders and requires
> the pots to pass the current value before they lock?

With a control surface that works 100% reliably for producing a live mix
without delay or lockup or computer involvement, yes.

> plus how would you know if i do the 800hz dent with the hi-mid or the
> low-mid band?

Why would it matter as long as I get a setting reproducing the effect?

> i don't know... maybe for the select group of users who obtain ardour
> by fax and ocr it back in.

If one hasn't anything worthwhile to contribute, remaining silent is
always an option.  It's not that one gets brownie points for
newbie-bashing.

--
David Kastrup